December 9, 2016

17 Bible Verses About Battling Depression



Depression is extremely tough and one of the hardest things I have had to battle. Hands down, I would not have been able to do it without God. He just made things easier to handle. I prayed. A LOT. I wanted to share some bible verses that can be of some comfort if like me, God is a big part of you fighting this illness.

Zechariah 9:12 "Return to the stronghold, You prisoners of hope. Even today I declare That I will restore double to you." All this pain we are enduring currently, and this internal turmoil, will be worth it. We just need to keep our hope, because God will make things better for us.

Micah 5:5 "And this One shall be peace." We will have peace, even if it seems so far away now, peace is reachable. God is peace and will give peace to us.

Psalm 34:18 "The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit." God is with us when we are broken hearted and weak. He hasn't forgotten us. He loves us and sent his only son to die for us. He will not forget you.

1 Peter 5:6-7 "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,  casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." God cares about you, so when you feel overwhelmed just give it all to Him. He wants you to and He will listen to your cries. He will help save you.

Psalm 31: 22 "For I said in my haste, “I am cut off from before Your eyes”; Nevertheless You heard the voice of my supplications When I cried out to You." Again, like it is said many times in the bible: he hears you when you are desperate and need Him. He's with you, you aren't ever alone.

Psalm 37:23-24 "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, And He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord upholds him with His hand." God is with you when you are trying your best to do the right things and be a good person. He's proud of you for your efforts, and even if you make a mistake he's not going to throw you away. God is with you and is proud of you, so keep trying.

John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." Again, God says that with Him you will have peace. Don't get down about having hard times, but try to be positive and be happy while knowing that it is worth it. The world is a place where you will have hard times, but know God and know that He is with you every step of the way.

Nehemiah 8:10 "Then he said to them, “Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength." Stay strong! I know that when you are depressed, you may not feel like eating or like you need to make sure that you are eating. It's important that you take care of your body that God has given to you.

Hosea 6:1 "Come, and let us return to the Lord; For He has torn, but He will heal us; He has stricken, but He will bind us up." God knows what is best for us, and He will make things right for us.

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." I love this verse. God doesn't want us to be afraid. He doesn't want us to be fearful of tomorrow. We shouldn't hate ourselves either. If God who made us and loves us, why shouldn't we love ourselves?

Philippians 4:13, 19 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.... And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." God strengthens us. With Him we can do anything. And God will take care of us too. When it says 'all your need', it includes our mental wellbeing. God will find a way for us to be better, whether that be with doctors or by training ourselves.

Isaiah 43:2 "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you." When we are going through trials, God will be with us. When we feel like we are overwhelmed, He won't give us more than we can handle. When we feel like we are drowning in our negativity and horrible thoughts racking in our brains, He will find a way. God will protect us through the troubles of life. He has always been there and always will be.

Psalm 46:1 "God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble." God will be there when we need safety from the storms in our mind and outside. He gives us strength and helps us through all our troubles.

Psalm 119:50 "This is my comfort in my affliction, For Your word has given me life." God is here to be your comfort. You are His, and He wants to protect us. Like I've said, the Bible is a comfort, just like God is a comfort. Pray to Him and tell Him all that is on your heart and in your mind. He is there for us when we feel like no one else is. He is with you now and forever and before you even took your first breathe or your heart began to beat inside your tiny chest in your mother's womb.

Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." I love this church hymn that is based off this Bible verse. God is saying he will give us rest, and like said many times before He will protect us and be our refuge.

Psalm 23:4 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." God can most certainly be of great comfort. If our Almighty God is with you, what do you have to fear?

Psalm 40:1-3 "I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth— Praise to our God;Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the Lord." God saves us and shows us life. Just trust in God and that He will work things out for you and find a way. God will help you get out of the bad place you are in now, just have faith in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment